Skip to main content

Slap me with a Mexican Pickle....

My kids are weird.  I know that isn't exactly a positive thing to say - but it's true.  They are just like my husband and I.  I used to worry that our weirdness would rub off on them and they, too, would suffer the same fate that we (hubby and I) have struggled with our entire lives.  Not really fitting in - kinda being on the outskirts of all things - and that it would be hard for them.


But they are different than us - even at their young age I can see that they both possess a confidence and self assurance that neither Chris nor I have ever had as youths or adults.  It's actually pretty awesome.  I'm so proud of them.

I mean - Harlyn is still a baby so it could totally change - but if anything she is even more self assured than I seriously thought a two year old child could be.  Nothing phases her - nothing ruffles her feathers.  She just gets up, gets moving and goes with the flow.  If the flow isn't what she wants - oh well - she shifts the flow to suit her needs.  Gotta love a girl that knows what she wants - and by God - is going to do what it takes to get it.


Hayden is a bit different.  He has a quiet confidence and rolls with the punches.  He likes everyone and everything and wants them all to like him too.  Yesterday we were playing at the park and he was showing me his prowess on the monkey bars.  I had to tease him because he'd get going - get a good rhythm - then just stop and hang there.  My little lazy bones.  My little Haydo Lameo (which caused him to giggle uncontrollably and fall completely OFF the monkey bars) but man I love him anyhow.  After all the teasing and giggling he turned to me and said "Well slap me with a Mexican pickle".  That sealed the deal - the kid is just straight up weird.




Ahh...my little freaks bring me such unbridled joy...I hope they continue to fly their freak flags high.

Until tomorrow...

Positively,

Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Collective Sorrow of Suicide

It started out as a normal Tuesday morning with the usual madness - getting kiddos dressed, fed and out the door to buses, schools and daycare.  Everything moved along according to plan - except the bus - it was late. And not 5 minutes late but a good 10 - and I was getting frustrated.  I needed to get the littlest to daycare and my work day into full swing - but we were stuck waiting for the bus.  Finally - a small white car drove up; someone spoke quickly to the parents on the corner, and everyone starting moving towards the other end of the street.  One of the Dad's came up to me and said there was a crime scene at the park (just a block or so away from our house) and the buses couldn't get through. "Suicide" he said, shaking his head and walking away. Suicide.  What a weighted word.  I was sad and a bit curious.  Where was the body?  When did it happen?  I quickly backed out of the driveway and headed off for daycare - taking our normal route. When I drove pa

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery...

...none but ourselves can free our minds. Ah, a little Bob Marley on 4/20 is always good. :-) I digress.  What a day.  A very grey, very cloudy drama filled day. It certainly was NOT good and I definitely felt like I was caught in a downward spiral of negativity. I actually wondered as the day went on how I was ever going to come up with something positive.  It just wasn't happening. But then I saw "Emancipation" on a bumper sticker - and it hit me - Bob Marley was totally right.  My emotions, actions, feelings - they are MY responsibility.  I spent all day reacting - feeling bad, doubting myself  - wondering what I could do to make it ALL BETTER.  I essentially wasted my energy, and my day, by allowing negativity to permeate and cast shadows of doubt. I'm done with that.  I want to reclaim my spirit - my positive energy - and I will not let ANYONE dictate how I feel again. It was a VERY hard day and I'm happy it's almost over.  However, I'm even

Fear, Loathing & Hatred in My Kind Life

“Forgiving is not forgetting. It’s letting go of the hurt.” - Unknown It was instantaneous and vitriol and in my head before I even had a moment to register. “Ughh…I hate her!” “Her” was a girl I went to high school with over 20 years ago.  I have not seen nor spoken with this girl since then…yet seeing her profile picture flash across a friends Facebook page brought it all back.  Even though I know I shouldn’t hate her – I really don’t even KNOW her – it was the first thing that popped into my head. The funny thing is – we were on again/off again best friends through much of junior high and high school. However, it was a friendship based on mutual disrespect.  She had a “reputation” that made her quite popular with the boys. I had a self esteem problem that I fed relentlessly.  We were a perfect storm of self loathing. Sometimes, the stars would align and we’d be brief but glorious allies.  Most of the time, however, we were using the other as stepping stones to