Skip to main content

Charity Fitness Jams

“I am obsessed with becoming a woman comfortable in her own skin.”
- Unknown

Comfortable in my own skin.  It’s a bit of a weighted concept.  Literal or rhetorical – it comes down to looking into the mirror and thinking “Wow – you go girl – all that hard work has paid off.”   I’ve always been a bit of an exercise junky – so staying fit, healthy and active has been an extremely important part of my adult life.   Vanity is a powerful motivator – being able to fit into jeans that are 10 years and at least 2 babies old always makes me smile.  However, the mental effects are so much more rewarding.  I have more energy, less stress and am generally a nicer person when I get regular exercise.  I love walking into the gym – full of crab and grump – and walking out feeling like a million bucks.

So, I was completely thrilled to realize I could incorporate my love of fitness into the kind year journey!  This month I’ve been able to support 2 great causes though fitness “jams”.  A “jam” session tends to last about 90 minutes versus a normal 60 minute class block and can incorporate multiple instructors and formats.  On October 1st I participated in a Party in Pink at Lifetime Fitness to support Susan G Koman and breast cancer research.  I donated $5 to participate in the  Zumba fitness jam and it was worth every penny – SO MUCH FUN.  LOL – I know – I’m a total dork but I just LOVE to Zumba.  It is my complete guilty pleasure – I get to dance, shake my booty AND raise money for an awesome cause.  Win win for sure!
zumbajam
Where’s Kim? Hidden in all that PINK!
Just a few days ago I was able to head back to Lifetime Fitness for another jam – this one dedicated to healthy school food – by making a $10 donation to the Lifetime Foundation.  I was able to do 3 classes instead of my normal Saturday morning kickboxing class and worked out for 90 minutes instead of 60.  It was AWESOME. There is something very satisfying about working out, doing something good for my body and knowing that it would help kids get healthy food to fuel their bodies.

Overall, it’s been so much fun to discover this simple way to incorporate kindness into my fitness routine.  Every step I take on this journey brings me a bit closer to complete comfort with myself.  I may not be perfect, but I am confident that I am on a path of progress that will end the best “me” possible.

What simple ways have you found to incorporate kindness into your every day life?  How have you found comfort in your own skin?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Collective Sorrow of Suicide

It started out as a normal Tuesday morning with the usual madness - getting kiddos dressed, fed and out the door to buses, schools and daycare.  Everything moved along according to plan - except the bus - it was late. And not 5 minutes late but a good 10 - and I was getting frustrated.  I needed to get the littlest to daycare and my work day into full swing - but we were stuck waiting for the bus.  Finally - a small white car drove up; someone spoke quickly to the parents on the corner, and everyone starting moving towards the other end of the street.  One of the Dad's came up to me and said there was a crime scene at the park (just a block or so away from our house) and the buses couldn't get through. "Suicide" he said, shaking his head and walking away. Suicide.  What a weighted word.  I was sad and a bit curious.  Where was the body?  When did it happen?  I quickly backed out of the driveway and headed off for daycare - taking our normal route. When I drove pa

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery...

...none but ourselves can free our minds. Ah, a little Bob Marley on 4/20 is always good. :-) I digress.  What a day.  A very grey, very cloudy drama filled day. It certainly was NOT good and I definitely felt like I was caught in a downward spiral of negativity. I actually wondered as the day went on how I was ever going to come up with something positive.  It just wasn't happening. But then I saw "Emancipation" on a bumper sticker - and it hit me - Bob Marley was totally right.  My emotions, actions, feelings - they are MY responsibility.  I spent all day reacting - feeling bad, doubting myself  - wondering what I could do to make it ALL BETTER.  I essentially wasted my energy, and my day, by allowing negativity to permeate and cast shadows of doubt. I'm done with that.  I want to reclaim my spirit - my positive energy - and I will not let ANYONE dictate how I feel again. It was a VERY hard day and I'm happy it's almost over.  However, I'm even

Fear, Loathing & Hatred in My Kind Life

“Forgiving is not forgetting. It’s letting go of the hurt.” - Unknown It was instantaneous and vitriol and in my head before I even had a moment to register. “Ughh…I hate her!” “Her” was a girl I went to high school with over 20 years ago.  I have not seen nor spoken with this girl since then…yet seeing her profile picture flash across a friends Facebook page brought it all back.  Even though I know I shouldn’t hate her – I really don’t even KNOW her – it was the first thing that popped into my head. The funny thing is – we were on again/off again best friends through much of junior high and high school. However, it was a friendship based on mutual disrespect.  She had a “reputation” that made her quite popular with the boys. I had a self esteem problem that I fed relentlessly.  We were a perfect storm of self loathing. Sometimes, the stars would align and we’d be brief but glorious allies.  Most of the time, however, we were using the other as stepping stones to