Skip to main content

Suffering...Hayden style...

What a weekend.  Friday was "family fun night" and everyone was so tired and burned out from the week that we only managed a simple swim - the plan to see "Bubbles the Clown" was pushed back in favor of sitting on the couch watching re-runs of "The Suite Life on Deck" - oh Zack and Cody - you are the craziest twins EVER. :-)

Everyone was a bit more energetic on Saturday morning.  We normally go to the gym where I work out my big muscles in a weight training class and the kids get to run around like animals at the club daycare.  It all went fine and dandy until we came back home to get ready for the morning swim at V7.  Hayden wanted to play the Wii (big surprise) and I told him NO - we are just getting our swimsuits and heading back out the door - Daddy is waiting.

I run upstairs to grab my suit - and guess what I find when I return?  My children sitting quietly and looking like little angels?  Nope.  How about Hayden over by the TV turning on the Wii.   Now, while un-diagnosed, I am fairly certain my children have what Bill Cosby famously refers to as "the brain damage."  Since I am a Mom and therefor ruler of my children's world - I promptly told Hayden NO MORE Wii - for the rest of the day.  You would have thought I told him no more breathing - he cried, screamed, and kicked in a VERY vain attempt to get me to re-consider.  I, of course, did not.



We went on with our morning despite Hayden's dramatics - he is prepping me for the pre-teen girl Harlyn will some day become - and everyone had a great time swimming.  Except Hayden.  He couldn't get past his lost Wii time and it totally clouded his day.   At one point - everyone was swimming - but him.  He was sitting on a lawn chair trying to make me feel guilty because HE was having a self imposed bad time.  Silly boy. I told him straight out that HIS lack of fun hurt no one but himself.  I calmly explained - in my best "patient and caring" Mom voice - that we all make choices - and today - he made a bad choice to turn on the Wii AFTER I told him not to.  Therefore - in order to become a responsible adult he needs to 'suffer the consequences' of his actions - which meant no Wii.

His eyes got big and he took a step back.  Shaking his head in disbelief - he looked at me and said "Suffer???  You want me to SUFFER??" then kicked his shoes off in a rage and ran back to his lawn chair to contemplate how I could love him but MAKE him suffer so.  Ah kids...

That night Chris went out to meet a friend, Harlyn was sleeping and Hayden and I were hanging out watching Indiana Jones (Kalle Ma - Kalle Ma).  He looked over at me and said in a quiet voice, "I made a bad choice today to turn on the Wii.  Tomorrow I will make better choices."

Sigh...it's moments like this that I realize being a hard-ass is so worth it.  Despite the hysterics - he learned a lesson.  I am proud of both of us...my little boy is growing up and I think I learned something too.

Until tomorrow...

Positively,

Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Collective Sorrow of Suicide

It started out as a normal Tuesday morning with the usual madness - getting kiddos dressed, fed and out the door to buses, schools and daycare.  Everything moved along according to plan - except the bus - it was late. And not 5 minutes late but a good 10 - and I was getting frustrated.  I needed to get the littlest to daycare and my work day into full swing - but we were stuck waiting for the bus.  Finally - a small white car drove up; someone spoke quickly to the parents on the corner, and everyone starting moving towards the other end of the street.  One of the Dad's came up to me and said there was a crime scene at the park (just a block or so away from our house) and the buses couldn't get through. "Suicide" he said, shaking his head and walking away. Suicide.  What a weighted word.  I was sad and a bit curious.  Where was the body?  When did it happen?  I quickly backed out of the driveway and headed off for daycare - taking our normal route. When I drove pa

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery...

...none but ourselves can free our minds. Ah, a little Bob Marley on 4/20 is always good. :-) I digress.  What a day.  A very grey, very cloudy drama filled day. It certainly was NOT good and I definitely felt like I was caught in a downward spiral of negativity. I actually wondered as the day went on how I was ever going to come up with something positive.  It just wasn't happening. But then I saw "Emancipation" on a bumper sticker - and it hit me - Bob Marley was totally right.  My emotions, actions, feelings - they are MY responsibility.  I spent all day reacting - feeling bad, doubting myself  - wondering what I could do to make it ALL BETTER.  I essentially wasted my energy, and my day, by allowing negativity to permeate and cast shadows of doubt. I'm done with that.  I want to reclaim my spirit - my positive energy - and I will not let ANYONE dictate how I feel again. It was a VERY hard day and I'm happy it's almost over.  However, I'm even

Fear, Loathing & Hatred in My Kind Life

“Forgiving is not forgetting. It’s letting go of the hurt.” - Unknown It was instantaneous and vitriol and in my head before I even had a moment to register. “Ughh…I hate her!” “Her” was a girl I went to high school with over 20 years ago.  I have not seen nor spoken with this girl since then…yet seeing her profile picture flash across a friends Facebook page brought it all back.  Even though I know I shouldn’t hate her – I really don’t even KNOW her – it was the first thing that popped into my head. The funny thing is – we were on again/off again best friends through much of junior high and high school. However, it was a friendship based on mutual disrespect.  She had a “reputation” that made her quite popular with the boys. I had a self esteem problem that I fed relentlessly.  We were a perfect storm of self loathing. Sometimes, the stars would align and we’d be brief but glorious allies.  Most of the time, however, we were using the other as stepping stones to