Skip to main content

Dearly Beloved, We Are Gathered Here Today...

...to get through this thing called life.

1987.  I'd just turned 13 years old and received a cassette tape for my birthday.  "Purple Rain" by Prince.

This is a cassette tape!  It played music in the dark ages.

Now, we won't go into what would compel otherwise solid parents to give a 13 year old this music, but they did.  And to put it mildly - it rocked my world.

I listened to that tape relentlessly.  Every. Single. Day.  I knew all the words to every song - even Darling Nikki - though I really had no idea what he was talking about.  Still not sure I do at 42 - but that is another blog for another day.

But I loved it.  Loved it.  I was blown away by the sound - but mostly by the man.  I'd never met anyone in real life ANYTHING like Prince.  Granted - I should preface this by saying I grew up in a very rural, very white area of Upstate New York.  So - my world view was a smidge limited - but that didn't dim the wonder in the least bit.

Me in our backyard.  Just in case you thought I was exaggerating the whole "small town" thing
He was small.  He wore funny frilly girl clothes.  He had a purple motorcycle.  His music had an energy that made me sit up and take notice.  I wasn't sure EXACTLY what I was noticing - but there was something going on - and I wanted to know more about it.

My 13 year old mind was blown.

Today, that man died.  And while I haven't felt the same way about his music since "Purple Rain" - I will never forget those songs.

And more importantly - the way Prince made me feel.

He was wild and weird and just out there.  And for a 13 year old with frizzy red hair, big round hooty owl glasses and an awkwardness all my own - he was just what I needed.

Photo proof of extreme awkwardness. No further explanation needed.
He flew his freak flag high - and people fell in line and followed.  He was my first glimpse at the world outside my small town.  His soft voice carried a loud message - one that I was eager to hear and ready to accept.

"It's okay to be who you are."

This message isn't revolutionary in today's "You do you" world where EVERYONE is some sort of spectacle. This was the height of the '80s where - to lean on the immortal words of Geddy Lee - "be cool or be cast out" was the anthem.  So, to hear and see someone put it all out there - without fear - without worry - was so unbelievably inspiring.

It gave me hope that one day I could do the same.  That my own weirdness maybe really wasn't that bad after all. That maybe, just maybe, there was a place for outcasts, cast offs, weirdos, freaks, dorks and all the rest to just be.  Without judgement.  Without fear.

So - thank you Prince.  You didn't know me - but your contribution to the world made my small life feel so much bigger.

Rest in peace.  You will be missed.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Collective Sorrow of Suicide

It started out as a normal Tuesday morning with the usual madness - getting kiddos dressed, fed and out the door to buses, schools and daycare.  Everything moved along according to plan - except the bus - it was late. And not 5 minutes late but a good 10 - and I was getting frustrated.  I needed to get the littlest to daycare and my work day into full swing - but we were stuck waiting for the bus.  Finally - a small white car drove up; someone spoke quickly to the parents on the corner, and everyone starting moving towards the other end of the street.  One of the Dad's came up to me and said there was a crime scene at the park (just a block or so away from our house) and the buses couldn't get through. "Suicide" he said, shaking his head and walking away. Suicide.  What a weighted word.  I was sad and a bit curious.  Where was the body?  When did it happen?  I quickly backed out of the driveway and headed off for daycare - taking our normal route. When I drove pa

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery...

...none but ourselves can free our minds. Ah, a little Bob Marley on 4/20 is always good. :-) I digress.  What a day.  A very grey, very cloudy drama filled day. It certainly was NOT good and I definitely felt like I was caught in a downward spiral of negativity. I actually wondered as the day went on how I was ever going to come up with something positive.  It just wasn't happening. But then I saw "Emancipation" on a bumper sticker - and it hit me - Bob Marley was totally right.  My emotions, actions, feelings - they are MY responsibility.  I spent all day reacting - feeling bad, doubting myself  - wondering what I could do to make it ALL BETTER.  I essentially wasted my energy, and my day, by allowing negativity to permeate and cast shadows of doubt. I'm done with that.  I want to reclaim my spirit - my positive energy - and I will not let ANYONE dictate how I feel again. It was a VERY hard day and I'm happy it's almost over.  However, I'm even

Bye Bye Summer

I love September.  I think the weather is absolutely perfect - not too hot like the hazy days of July and August - but not too cold like October and November.  If Colorado could maintain September weather all year round it would be the absolute perfect place to live.  Now don't get me wrong - I love my Colorado no matter how you slice it - by far the most perfect place for my family and I - but I'm especially enamored during the mild, sunny days of September. Look at that view! We had a truly gorgeous little weekend escape at one of our favorite places -  Salida .  We just love it down that way - it's only an few hours from Colorado Springs but it's a world apart.  When we start the drive through the canyon all my troubles and cares just melt away as I watch the river wind.  The kids love it too.  This was the first time we've gone this late in the season - normally we travel down in either June or July - but due to our trip to NY we had to push back our littl