Skip to main content

The Halloween Costume - Part 3 - The End Result

So - I did it.

My Lego Mini-Figure Man!

I wish I could feel more excitement but I'm just so thankful that the whole silly project is finally over.

I am not crafty.  Not in the slightest.  However, I am fairly stubborn which worked in my favor when it came to completing this costume.

My procrastination started me off on the wrong foot - hello - who hordes boxes in the corner of their kitchen for a month - but ultimately my stubborn desire to finish this thing won out in the end.

There were late nights - early mornings - and wasted afternoons.  Craft paint in yellow, orange and watered down version of black.  Who knew that craft paint goes bad?  I certainly didn't - and when I opened the bottle of black (which sat in my closet for 6 years) it plopped out in weird, gross clumps.

Shit.

That was all I could think - both literally and figuratively.  It was the day before Halloween (okay - the night before Halloween) and there was no way I was haulin' bootie to Michael's for more.  I had to make it work.  So 5 coats later we had success - kinda.

Black courtesy of Sharpie!

Come to find out - Hayden hated the costume.  Go figure, right?  He actually cried (real, full crocodile tears) when I told him it was ready for him.  He said he'd look stupid.  He couldn't reach his hands around the box to hold his candy bucket.  He was horribly off balance.

I was pissed.  Real, hard core angry.  I totally did something I thought I would NEVER do as a parent.  I guilt tripped his little butt.

"What?  You don't want to wear this costume?  Are you kidding me?  I spent the last week and a half working on it."

Hayden, through tears, didn't seem swayed.

"Everyone will think I'm a nerd."

Sigh.

I know I should have been a better Mom.  I know I should have talked to him calmly - had him explain what he didn't like about the costume - see if we could figure out a way to make it better for him.  Instead, I looked him in the eye and said fine.

Not the fine you say when things are REALLY fine - but the fine that really means NOT FINE AT ALL.

He knew.  He started to back peddle like crazy.

"It's fine.  I'll wear it.  It will be okay."

I wasn't having any part of it.  I remained firm in my "angry mom" stance.  I told him he could go without a costume tonight and explain to everyone that asked why he wasn't wearing one.  I called my Mom, in New York, and told her that Hayden hated his costume and refused to wear it.  That he didn't appreciate all my hard efforts.  That I finally understood why parents think their children are ungrateful.

It's because they are.

In the end - he is just a child - and I needed to remember that and put it into perspective.  Maybe the costume WAS over the top.  It was big, and bulky, and hard for him to move around it.  But I was attached, dammit!  I'd put hours of time into that bugger and, if I do say so myself, it turned out alright.  

So - despite the tears and silent treatment - the night went on.  He wore the costume and EVERYONE loved it.  He got lots of compliments and even more candy.  It was a good night.

My cute kiddos!
I doubt I will attempt a home made costume again.  However, thanks to the Internet and this blog - I'll always have photo-proof of my attempt at costume craftiness.  Someday - when Hayden is older - he'll see this blog and hopefully remember the costume fondly - finally realizing all that went into making it a reality.

I can hope. :-)

Positively,

Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Collective Sorrow of Suicide

It started out as a normal Tuesday morning with the usual madness - getting kiddos dressed, fed and out the door to buses, schools and daycare.  Everything moved along according to plan - except the bus - it was late. And not 5 minutes late but a good 10 - and I was getting frustrated.  I needed to get the littlest to daycare and my work day into full swing - but we were stuck waiting for the bus.  Finally - a small white car drove up; someone spoke quickly to the parents on the corner, and everyone starting moving towards the other end of the street.  One of the Dad's came up to me and said there was a crime scene at the park (just a block or so away from our house) and the buses couldn't get through. "Suicide" he said, shaking his head and walking away. Suicide.  What a weighted word.  I was sad and a bit curious.  Where was the body?  When did it happen?  I quickly backed out of the driveway and headed off for daycare - taking our normal route. When I drove pa

My Grandma Betty

I was 6 years old and my Mom was getting remarried. My Dad died when I was two, and I was anxious and excited for her fiance  to be my new Dad. I remember the day he took my brother and I to meet our new Grandparents. He was very stern in the car and told Jeff and I the rules. We could say "Nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Racquet" and be very quiet and respectful. I was so nervous - what if t hey didn't like me?  As we walked towards the house, they stepped out to meet us, two strangers destined to be family. I will never forget her smile, or how she hugged me as she said "My name is Grandma Betty and this is Grandpa Hersch!! We're so happy to finally meet you." All my nervousness disappeared in her  . <3 She was a constant in my life - always spirited, always unique and always 100% her authentic self. Forever young at heart and full of life, she simply inspired me. I  <3   you Gram. Give my love to Grandpa - I'm sad you are gone but so happ

Bye Bye Summer

I love September.  I think the weather is absolutely perfect - not too hot like the hazy days of July and August - but not too cold like October and November.  If Colorado could maintain September weather all year round it would be the absolute perfect place to live.  Now don't get me wrong - I love my Colorado no matter how you slice it - by far the most perfect place for my family and I - but I'm especially enamored during the mild, sunny days of September. Look at that view! We had a truly gorgeous little weekend escape at one of our favorite places -  Salida .  We just love it down that way - it's only an few hours from Colorado Springs but it's a world apart.  When we start the drive through the canyon all my troubles and cares just melt away as I watch the river wind.  The kids love it too.  This was the first time we've gone this late in the season - normally we travel down in either June or July - but due to our trip to NY we had to push back our littl