Monday, November 5, 2012

The Halloween Costume - Part 3 - The End Result

So - I did it.

My Lego Mini-Figure Man!

I wish I could feel more excitement but I'm just so thankful that the whole silly project is finally over.

I am not crafty.  Not in the slightest.  However, I am fairly stubborn which worked in my favor when it came to completing this costume.

My procrastination started me off on the wrong foot - hello - who hordes boxes in the corner of their kitchen for a month - but ultimately my stubborn desire to finish this thing won out in the end.

There were late nights - early mornings - and wasted afternoons.  Craft paint in yellow, orange and watered down version of black.  Who knew that craft paint goes bad?  I certainly didn't - and when I opened the bottle of black (which sat in my closet for 6 years) it plopped out in weird, gross clumps.

Shit.

That was all I could think - both literally and figuratively.  It was the day before Halloween (okay - the night before Halloween) and there was no way I was haulin' bootie to Michael's for more.  I had to make it work.  So 5 coats later we had success - kinda.

Black courtesy of Sharpie!

Come to find out - Hayden hated the costume.  Go figure, right?  He actually cried (real, full crocodile tears) when I told him it was ready for him.  He said he'd look stupid.  He couldn't reach his hands around the box to hold his candy bucket.  He was horribly off balance.

I was pissed.  Real, hard core angry.  I totally did something I thought I would NEVER do as a parent.  I guilt tripped his little butt.

"What?  You don't want to wear this costume?  Are you kidding me?  I spent the last week and a half working on it."

Hayden, through tears, didn't seem swayed.

"Everyone will think I'm a nerd."

Sigh.

I know I should have been a better Mom.  I know I should have talked to him calmly - had him explain what he didn't like about the costume - see if we could figure out a way to make it better for him.  Instead, I looked him in the eye and said fine.

Not the fine you say when things are REALLY fine - but the fine that really means NOT FINE AT ALL.

He knew.  He started to back peddle like crazy.

"It's fine.  I'll wear it.  It will be okay."

I wasn't having any part of it.  I remained firm in my "angry mom" stance.  I told him he could go without a costume tonight and explain to everyone that asked why he wasn't wearing one.  I called my Mom, in New York, and told her that Hayden hated his costume and refused to wear it.  That he didn't appreciate all my hard efforts.  That I finally understood why parents think their children are ungrateful.

It's because they are.

In the end - he is just a child - and I needed to remember that and put it into perspective.  Maybe the costume WAS over the top.  It was big, and bulky, and hard for him to move around it.  But I was attached, dammit!  I'd put hours of time into that bugger and, if I do say so myself, it turned out alright.  

So - despite the tears and silent treatment - the night went on.  He wore the costume and EVERYONE loved it.  He got lots of compliments and even more candy.  It was a good night.

My cute kiddos!
I doubt I will attempt a home made costume again.  However, thanks to the Internet and this blog - I'll always have photo-proof of my attempt at costume craftiness.  Someday - when Hayden is older - he'll see this blog and hopefully remember the costume fondly - finally realizing all that went into making it a reality.

I can hope. :-)

Positively,

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment