Skip to main content

Rockin' the Prom in 5th Grade Style

I went to the prom...with my 11 year old.  Technically - it was the 5th grade "senior" prom - aka "senior citizen" which means you are supposed to bring Grandma - but since all our family lives in NY I was the only choice.  To be honest - I wasn't sure what to expect.  5th grade is a hazy blur in my mind - but I vaguely remember boys and girls pretty much avoiding each other and spending time with your parents - in public - to be one of life's great humiliations.  I was curious, cautious and hopefully optimistic that things had changed in 30 years. :-)

In preparation we bought Hayden a snazzy new outfit (and - if I do say so myself - he looked incredibly handsome) and I tried to figure out my own clothes. Honestly - what does a 40 year old woman wear to a elementary school dance?  With the help of Facebook (and some wonderful friends) I decided on a simple tunic top and leggings - though the suggestion of sparkly yoga pants and my wedding dress (from Harlyn) were also top contenders.   The day of the dance arrived along with a hefty dose of late April snow and some serious doubts on my behalf.  Nevertheless, I was determined to have a great time on a rare "Mom & Son" date night.  We headed out to dinner before hand (Panda Express - Hayden's choice) and then home to primp and press before driving over.

Such a good lookin' boy!
Incredibly - it was fun. Amazing, wonderful, memory making fun.  The kids blew me away.  The boys were so handsome - some dressed in full on prom wear (one little guy had a tuxedo with a hot pink cummerbund!) and other more "Colorado casual" like my Hayden in his button down shirt, shorts and boat shoes.  The girls were all dolled up - fancy dresses and hair, "high heel" shoes - and I could just see the future teenagers emerging in these still little kids.  Seeing them done up, looking so mature yet acting so young, just tugged at my heart.

We had pictures taken, I got to wear a princess crown (what could be better?) and we danced and jived our way through the YMCA, the Electric Slide and even the Macarena.  Hayden's friends all said I was an amazing dancer (these kids know talent when they see it) and of course I agreed. When a slow song came on, Hayden walked over and said, "Let's dance!" and my heart melted.

We danced, and twirled, and I got dizzy but it was glorious.  In this  moment - there was nothing better.  I saw him as a small baby, a sweet toddler and a little boy all wrapped in one.  I also saw the teenager he was on the verge of becoming and the man I knew he would someday be.  At the end of the song, he gave me a hug and said "I love you Mom, this was the best night ever."

Oh my - it sure was buddy.  It sure was.

Smiling big with my best guy - one lucky Mom!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Collective Sorrow of Suicide

It started out as a normal Tuesday morning with the usual madness - getting kiddos dressed, fed and out the door to buses, schools and daycare.  Everything moved along according to plan - except the bus - it was late. And not 5 minutes late but a good 10 - and I was getting frustrated.  I needed to get the littlest to daycare and my work day into full swing - but we were stuck waiting for the bus.  Finally - a small white car drove up; someone spoke quickly to the parents on the corner, and everyone starting moving towards the other end of the street.  One of the Dad's came up to me and said there was a crime scene at the park (just a block or so away from our house) and the buses couldn't get through. "Suicide" he said, shaking his head and walking away. Suicide.  What a weighted word.  I was sad and a bit curious.  Where was the body?  When did it happen?  I quickly backed out of the driveway and headed off for daycare - taking our normal route. When I drove pa

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery...

...none but ourselves can free our minds. Ah, a little Bob Marley on 4/20 is always good. :-) I digress.  What a day.  A very grey, very cloudy drama filled day. It certainly was NOT good and I definitely felt like I was caught in a downward spiral of negativity. I actually wondered as the day went on how I was ever going to come up with something positive.  It just wasn't happening. But then I saw "Emancipation" on a bumper sticker - and it hit me - Bob Marley was totally right.  My emotions, actions, feelings - they are MY responsibility.  I spent all day reacting - feeling bad, doubting myself  - wondering what I could do to make it ALL BETTER.  I essentially wasted my energy, and my day, by allowing negativity to permeate and cast shadows of doubt. I'm done with that.  I want to reclaim my spirit - my positive energy - and I will not let ANYONE dictate how I feel again. It was a VERY hard day and I'm happy it's almost over.  However, I'm even

Bye Bye Summer

I love September.  I think the weather is absolutely perfect - not too hot like the hazy days of July and August - but not too cold like October and November.  If Colorado could maintain September weather all year round it would be the absolute perfect place to live.  Now don't get me wrong - I love my Colorado no matter how you slice it - by far the most perfect place for my family and I - but I'm especially enamored during the mild, sunny days of September. Look at that view! We had a truly gorgeous little weekend escape at one of our favorite places -  Salida .  We just love it down that way - it's only an few hours from Colorado Springs but it's a world apart.  When we start the drive through the canyon all my troubles and cares just melt away as I watch the river wind.  The kids love it too.  This was the first time we've gone this late in the season - normally we travel down in either June or July - but due to our trip to NY we had to push back our littl